It's not just about the vegetables....
What is a CSA?
Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) provides an opportunity for you and your household to cultivate a deeper relationship to your food and the land and people that grow it. By being a shareholder you are ensured an abundance of local, seasonal, and organically-grown produce to enjoy throughout the growing season. Your farmers, in turn, receive the benefit of your committed financial support early in the season and the satisfaction of knowing the people we feed. By joining a CSA you align yourself with a farm and all of the seasonal variability that farmers endure. A wet and cold spring could mean a slow start to the season, and your June shares may reflect this. On the flip side, August and September seem to always provide an almost overwhelming abundace. In addition to all the vegetables, folks that pick up at the farm are often invited to u-pick flowers and herbs from our garden.. Veggies, herbs, AND flowers - oh my!
How does it work?
- Our share runs for 22 weeks, from June through October.
- We offer two share sizes to better suit the needs of your household:
-a FAMILY SHARE is about right for a four person family and costs $500.
-a GARDEN SHARE is half-sized for the smaller household and costs $300.
- Weekly shares are boxed and available at three pick up locations.
- Shareholders commit to one pick up location for the duration of the season.
- Pick-up options include:
TUESDAYS @ the farm, 2-6:30p (or WEDNESDAYS before noon)
TUESDAYS @ Fortuna Farmer's Market, 3-6p
TUESDAYS @ Redwood Memorial Hospital, 2-6p for hospital employees only
FRIDAYS @ the farm, 2-6:30p
FRIDAYS @ Garberville Farmer's Market, 11a-3p.
- A deposit of $100 for the FAMILY SHARE, or $75 for the GARDEN SHARE, holds your space.
- We accept payment in full or any payment plan that works for you and your family. Please see our commitment form for details.
- As many of our expenses, such as seeds and soil ammendments, are purchased up front at the beginning of the year, your early payments are always much appreciated.
To become a shareholder this season, please fill out our commitment form and mail it to us, along with your deposit or payment in full.
Find a printable form here: 2014_veggie CSA_commitment form
For a look at our brochure, go here: Shakefork vegetable share brochure
A share early in the season (June-early July) may include the following vegetables:
2 lettuce heads (butter and red leaf), broccoli, 1/2 lb spinach, scallions or green garlic, radishes, carrots or salad turnips, a bunch of kale, 2 zucchini/summer squash, pac choy, and 1 lb. peas.
A share at the peak of summer (August thru early September) may include:
1 lb. lettuce mix, 1/2 pound spinach, 1 lb. green beans, broccoli or cabbage, 4 cucumbers, 4 zucchini/summer squash, garlic, a big 'ol sweet onion, a bunch of carrots, beets, and/or salad turnips, a bunch of dill or basil, 2 lb new red potatoes.
A share in fall (mid-September thru October) may include:
2 lettuce heads, a cabbage or cauliflower, a couple yellow onions, 2 pounds yukon gold potatoes, 4 zucchini/summer squash, 4 cucumbers, celeriac, a bunch of beets, carrots, or salad turnips, garlic, a leek, an acorn and delicata winter squash.
CSAs are not the right choice for every household. We’ve learned that people who fall into the following categories are not usually a good match for our CSA program:
- Anyone who is away on vacation many weeks during the summer. We do not give credit for vacation weeks, so it is your responsibility to have someone pickup your share if you are gone, or to cancel your share for the week.
- People who don’t really like to cook or who often don’t eat at home.
- People who don’t like vegetables or who don’t like trying new foods.
Thank you! And may every meal be memorable!