Pastured Poultry in Humboldt County
Raised on pasture with organic feed, whole broilers and select cuts.
We offer an alternative to commercial, warehouse raised chicken for our customers in Humboldt County.
- All of our chickens are fed 100% GMO-Free, Certified Organic chicken feed.
- We purchase day-old chicks from Freedom Ranger Hatchery, whose French imported breeding stock meets the high standards of the Label Rouge Program, producing a slow growing, robust chicken that thrives in organic, pasture based management systems like our own.
- We move chicks from our brooder at 3 weeks of age to portable Salatin-inspired chicken tractors that scoot across our pastures, moving at least once daily.
- These portable shelters keep our young (and vulnerable!) birds safe from predators and sheltered from extreme weather, while enabling us to precisely place fertility on our pastures.
- The chickens have access to fresh pasture daily, where they scratch, forage, stretch, and dust bathe in natural sunlight.
- Our healthy and contented birds make for some of the best eating ever.
- You will appreciate the tender, succulent meat high in yellow, omega-3 fatty acids and full of flavor.
We slaughter and process all of our birds ourselves, on the farm, under federal exemption PL 90-492.
You can buy our chicken direct from the farm by appointment or find us at these Humboldt County Farmers' Markets.
Nutrient-dense eggs from Pastured Hens
Our hens free-range in a mobile paddock, following our cattle and sheep.
- We provide certified organic laying feed, but our hens provide for much of their own nutrition by foraging for seeds, bugs, and pasture.
- We provide skim milk, a by-product of ghee production, as a farm-produced protein supplement.
- We do not use any artificial light or climate control to increase egg production, and we never force simultaneous molting - all standard practices in conventional, warehouse production.
- We embrace the seasonal rhythms of nature and accept fluctuations in production during the colder and hotter months of the year.
- We believe our customers understand the true value of an egg produced in a holistic system which views each hen as more than just a machine.
- Good husbandry means, to us, a healthy, unmedicated flock free to express the fullness of their chicken-ness, producing delicious, nutrient dense eggs for us and our customers.
Our eggs are available at a discount to our CSA members, direct from the farm, and at local Farmers' Markets.
Pasture-raised Holiday Turkeys
Our Great Pyrenees guards the flock...
- Every summer and fall, we raise a small batch of turkeys on pasture with certified organic feed.
- We often use the turkeys to clean up a field after a grain harvest.
- Turkeys are available for on-farm pick only, fresh the week of Thanksgiving.
Slaughter days bring together good friends and community.